If you’re a drummer, you’ll be able to relate to this. You’ll be surprised to know most drummers don’t take into account that what you sit on is essential. They’ll reason that it’s not significant what you sit on and they’d rather spend money on other equipment.
What drummers don’t take into account is that what they sit on should be comfy, especially when you practice drumming for long hours. When you’re comfortable, you play better.
Most drummers make the mistake of buying something cheap and of low quality to save money, but that ends up costing them in the long term. Later you end up regretting what you bought just to save a few bucks.
So, what do you do? You buy a better drum throne. There are hundreds of drum thrones, and you can’t decide which one to buy? Well, I’ve compiled a list of some of my the best drum thrones out there. Don’t break a sweat and see yourself:
Favorite from the drummers: ? Roc n Soc Nitro ?
This beauty is one of the better drum thrones out there. It was manufactured by Roc-n-Sochas, who has produced some of the finest drum thrones we’ve seen. They’ve been doing this since 1987.
The Roc n Soc Nitro comes in two variations, and it’s a favorite used by many drummers. It has double-braced legs and offers swivel height adjustment.
The swivel height adjustment has a collar lock, which, according to several drummers out there, provides extra stability.
- The height is fully adjustable from 18”-24”, no matter what your hight it’ll be perfect for you.
- Its Ergonomic design prevents leg fatigue, and its firm base provides world-class stability while playing.
- Its motorcycle-style seat cushion will provide you comfort during your long jamming sessions.
- The seat spins, which means there will be little to no stress on your back because you won’t have to twist your body.
- It has one of the finest qualities out there. It is built using the best materials in the world. They can be repaired and upgraded with ease.
- Its quality is impeccable.
- There were very few people who had something bad to say about this drum throne. People loved this. They noted its most outstanding feature was that it was easy to assemble.
- Other than that, several reviews said it is one of the most comfortable drum seats they’ve ever used. The height can be adjusted swiftly with ease.
- It helps you in getting to your kit from all sides with ease.
- It is a good drum throne with a sturdy base.
- People said they experienced little to no discomfort over long jamming sessions like they used to before.
- Not many bad reviews out there, but some people complained that the stool shouldn’t spin that easily, and they can’t tilt their stools.
For sure this is one of the best drum throne in the market right now. If you’re someone who plays for long hours and several times a week, these thrones are for you. It’s super comfortable, sturdy drumming chair for neverending drumming sessions.back to menu ↑
Second Favourite from the drummers: ? Pork Pie ?
Next up on the list is the Pork Pie. The Pork Pie Tractor Style drum stool was designed mostly for people with heavier frames. Pork pie tractor drum thrones have a padded seat, which makes it extremely comfortable, and these drum thrones are also very durable.
- Soft, comfortable seat
- Padded seat
- Sharp looks
- The Pork Pie is highly appreciated among drummers, which means majority reviews were positive. Most reviewers said that they were impressed with the comfort level of this drum stool. They said no matter how big you are; this is just perfect for you, the manufacturer himself being a big designed this for other big guys. It’s beautiful, and it is pretty much the same as some of its more expensive counterparts.
- People found it difficult to adjust the stool height, apart from that there isn’t anything wrong with this product.
If you’re someone with a big frame and you’re tired of buying drum thrones that aren’t sturdy, and you feel you can’t support your weight, I recommend you go for this. It’s durable, budget-friendly, and it has a nice sharp look.back to menu ↑
Bang for the bucks: ? Tama Thrones ?
Tama 1st Chair Ergo-Rider Drum Throne is a hybrid version of the saddle stool and the round style stool. It offers the best of both these drumming thrones. It is manufactured by Tama group, which manufactures drum kits and hardware. This drum stool comes in several variations, which we’ll be discussing below.
The Tama Thrones comes in several variations. The Tama 1stChair Ergo-Rider with Backrest is similar to the standard model, but it comes with a fully adjustable backrest. You can fold it, which makes it portable, and these backrest units can be attached to any Tama 1st Chair thrones. Tama 1st Chair Round-Rider XL Drum Throne Hydraulix Cloth Top is another variation that comes with a round throne. It allows the drummers to play to their maximum potential. Another variation is the Tama 1st Chair Drum Throne Glide Rider with Cloth Top and HYDRAULIX. When Tama first designed their drum stools, their goal was to achieve maximum comfort. After that, they started aiming to improve the stability of these thrones. They’ve improved stability by lowering the center of gravity, which they accomplished by lowering the center’s throne pipe to the floor.
Now we will discuss key features of the standard version.
- Provides ergonomic support and comfort
- Since it’s a hybrid, it offers the maneuverability of the round stool and provides the support of the saddle stool
- The front cut makes no room for hindrance during rapid double bass patterns
- It’s surprisingly comfortable and allows you to practice on and on for hours. It was built to last, and it weighs a lot too. The seat is a perfect size; you can attach or remove the backrest if you want to. The height is easily adjustable to suit you perfectly.
- The price is a significant drawback, and some people are not satisfied with the swivel design. Apart from that, there weren’t many complaints.
If you’re someone who doesn’t mind spending big bucks, then you may opt for the Tama thrones. Many people love the hybrid design because it gives them the best of both worlds.back to menu ↑
Best for beginners: ? Gibraltar Thrones ?
If you’re a beginner level drummer and you don’t know where to start, I recommend you Gibraltar Thrones. They have several variations. The standard model Gibraltar 9608RW2T is a round and sturdy double-braced tripod base.
Some of its variations come with a backrest and a moto stool. The most notable model with the backrest is the Gibraltar 9608MB. Some say it is one of the best drum thrones in the market with a backrest in this price range. Its motorcycle-styled stool strives to bring maximum comfort, and it has pretty thick padding. There is another variation with the motorcycle-styled thrones Gibraltar 9608MW2T. It’s a comfortable and sturdy product. The comfort you get sitting on motorcycle-style thrones is far greater than what you get from sitting on a round stool—an excellent fit for people with bigger frames.
The new 9608 series is miles ahead of its predecessors, especially the Gibraltar 6608. This is mainly because the 9608 has better build quality, performance, and price to value ratio. In addition to this, the main reason why 9608 stands out is because of the fabric. The seat fabric in the 9608 series is made up of nylon web woven top, which gives comfort, and the central vinyl patch prevents the drummer from slipping away.
- Nylon woven web seat for comfort
- 2T textured hugger to hold drummer in place
- 17” Oversized round stool
- Additional comfort by thigh cutouts
- Gibraltar’s exclusive super foot
- Spindle adjustment with memory lock system
- Double braced throne base for maximum stability
- It provides excellent comfort and great stability. People thought it was effortless to adjust the height. Easily one of the best quality drum throne in the market.
- No bad reviews, so we could safely say it doesn’t have any cons that stand out.
Gibraltar stools are the only ones without a single bad review. If you’re a beginner who takes drumming seriously, I highly recommend you go for one of Gibraltar’s products.back to menu ↑
Cheapest Throne: ? Heavy duty drum throne ?
Spectrum AIL DT heavy-duty drum thrones are one of the cheapest drumming thrones in the market. It has rubber feet, and height is adjustable. It doesn’t offer the same amount of comfort as the other high-end products, but it is comfy. This isn’t the kind of product you buy if you intend to practice for long hours, this is for those who do not plan to play very often or those who might quit after some time.
- Double-braced construction, built to last
- Height is adjustable
- Nonskid rubber feet
- Tripod base
- Can support weight up to 250 lbs
- People loved the fact that it swivels and allows the height to be adjusted. Other than that, it is very well built and can support weight up to 250 lbs.
- There were several complaints that this is not a quality drum stool as it squeaks. People were not satisfied with the built; many thought it didn’t do justice to the title “Heavy built.”
I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone who intends to practice for long straining hours. These Spectrum AIL DT drum thrones aren’t for professionals but for children, who might stop playing after a year.back to menu ↑
Best Surprise: ?Ahead Spinal G ?
This might come as a surprise to several people. If you’re someone who has had back pain because of bad quality thrones, this is for you. The Ahead Spinal G(SPGR) mainly focuses on helping people with back pain. When you use thrones of inadequate quality, it damages your muscles. You won’t notice any immediate effects, but it takes its toll over a long tenure. But the Ahead Spinal G aids in preventing and diminishing muscle exhaustion and damage.
It comes with other variations, one of the prominent ones being Ahead Drum Throne(SPGARTB). It was specifically made for those who require better support and comfort than Ergokinetic thrones. It aims to fight muscle fatigue and pain in the neck, shoulder, spine, and hips.
- Provides a high level of support and comfort
- Split seat
- Four legs sturdy base
- The seat connector plate is highly durable
- Double locking, threaded height adjustment
- Supports pelvis and tailbone better
- Thick memory foam cushion
- The base is heavy. This is one of the most comfortable thrones in the market. Even though it is soft, it provides massive support. Many people said they didn’t experience back pain as they used to on previous thrones. This is true as this is medically tested and scientifically proven that Ahead Spinal G (SPGR) provides better support to the back.
- It costs a lot, and there were some complaints that the seat could’ve been put together better.
If you’ve been a victim of severe back pains, then this product is just right for you. Especially for professionals who have been playing for several years and might’ve developed some back issues over the years.back to menu ↑
What is a Drum Throne?
Drum throne is the base from which all of your movements are supported. A good drum throne makes it feasible to play for long hours. Not only that, but it also enhances your playing skills. Especially your footwork.
You’ve probably been wondering why it is called a drum throne. Isn’t the throne something that kings and queens sit on? Well, there isn’t much difference between a drummer and a king. They’re almost the same thing. To be the king, you require unmatched concentration, composure, and you need to be always aware of your surroundings. These three things are also what you need to be a good drummer.back to menu ↑
How do I choose the right drum throne?
When choosing a drum stool, choose something with a stable base. It should be able to support your weight. This might make your equipment a bit heavier, but it’s worth it considering you don’t want your chair to be unstable while playing.
Something else you should consider is if the stool’s height is adjustable. I prefer a spindle based throne. Easy to adjust, and it isn’t bouncy like those hydraulic drum thrones. All that bouncing is terrible for your back.
The drum throne’s seats should be soft but not too soft. It should be firm and should support your back.
You also need to choose between a round seat or a motorcycle-style seat. If you’re someone with a smaller frame and who only plays for four to five times a week for a few hours, I recommend the round seat.
Otherwise, you should opt for motorcycle-style seats because it is wider, and it cushions your back more, especially during long straining playing hours.
I advise against the use of backrest. This is because they usually are more expensive and no matter how you adjust your backrest, you won’t be able to touch it while playing.back to menu ↑
How high should the drum throne be?
Many drummers would agree with me when I say that sitting properly not only improves your playing but also puts little to no stress on your lower back. If you don’t sit properly, you could end up having lower back pain, or your legs might become fatigued while playing. It is crucial to maintain the correct posture to relax your back.
It is a rule agreed upon by many drummers that you should sit in a manner that your hipbone is slightly positioned above the top of your knee. This won’t cause any hindrance to the natural movement of your legs.
Another way to adjust the height is to stand next to the stool and adjust it so that it is just above your kneecaps.
Now that you’ve gone over the basics of a drum throne, you’re ready to buy a drum throne.back to menu ↑
We went over what a drum throne is, how to buy a drum throne, and how high should your drumming throne be. Then we suggested you some drum thrones. One drum stool doesn’t fit everyone, but there is always a drumming stool out there that is perfect for you, and in this article, we taught you exactly how to find the perfect one for you. Whether you’re a professional or a beginner or you’re just doing this as a hobby, after reading this article, you will be able to decide which throne to buy.